Tuesday, August 16, 2005

An Innocent Question

So I'm chilling at my house here in New Amsterdam, entertaining myself by playing a video game. It's a "trivial pursuit"-style game from the early 90s I hadn't played in a while. Right around halfway through the game the following question pops up:

"What is the capital of Guyana?
A) Georgetown
B) Linden
C) Paramaraibo
D) New Amsterdam"

I stared speechlessly at it for a second and the timer almost ran out. For some reason, it struck me pretty hard. This innocent question, which one year ago I would have never known nor cared much about, now speaks directly to my daily life. It even mentioned this tiny town in a backwater part of a distant continent, the town where I now live.

This particular game I played in the arcade many years ago in Waikiki after I had first moved there, and I couldn't help but wonder if it had asked me that question all those years ago. I could have had no way of knowing Guyana would ever factor into my life at the time, much less that I'd LIVE THERE. And yet... here I am a short decade later.

There's nothing odd about the question itself, only the way life takes us on new and unexpected paths that change everything. I wonder what else is in store for me in the decades to come?

No comments: